Friday, July 11, 2008

Insomnia, by choice

It's almost 1 am and I was just trying to fall asleep. Well, actually to be honest, trying isn't exactly the right word. I work tomorrow morning, my eyes are killing, and I know I should be sleeping. But instead I get out my laptop, turn it on, and here I am, sitting on my sheets, watching the lightning storm outside my window, and blogging. 
I'm not sure why, but once summer rolls around, I hate sleeping. It just feels like such a waste of precious time. During the school year, it's all I can think about and all I want to do. But during vacation, I'll stay up for hours watching movies or Seinfeld and X-Files reruns or browsing the internet or cleaning my room or anything, simply because I don't want to sleep. And even when I get tired, I rarely get very sleepy, and eventually have to make myself head to bed because I know it's the wise choice. It's not like I can sleep in either. Even if I don't have something scheduled the next morning, once 9 or 9:30 rolls around I can't sleep any later with a clean conscience--I once again feel as though I'm wasting the day. I rarely am able to nap for the same reasons--I just feel as though I'm going to miss out on something. No matter how tired I've been, I think I've only been able to actually fall asleep in a nap twice in the past 6 months. 
So here I lay, staring at a blank dark ceiling, not wanting to sleep. It's just such a waste of my time. Oh well, maybe I'll have a good dream tonight. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I totally agree. My main problem is I don't do anything productive when I wake up either.

One of the things I've been doing lately, regardless of when I go to bed, is to set my alarm for a few hours before I have to wake up from work, just so that I don't get depressed by my work-play practice-sleep-repeat cycle. But really all it does is make me go to sleep that much earlier the next night, so I'm quickly becoming a grandma. A grandma that lives with two twenty-something dudes, so a swingin' grandma, but a grandma nonetheless.