Thursday, August 7, 2008

so happy together (me + caffeine)

I was doing so well weaning myself off of my caffeine addiction, but I've officially crashed. After being inspired by Beth's blog over at Wake. Work. Rinse. Repeat., I decided that my crush on caffeine was unhealthy and it was high time I moved on to better sources of energy, like sleep. I was going strong for about two weeks, treating myself to a caffeinated beverage only once every few days and feeling great. However, last weekend at the 20s & 30s retreat near St. Louis, the combination of getting no sleep, needing to stay alert during hours of sitting and listening, and suddenly having access to a constant supply of free caffeine was all too tempting, and one drink every 3 days instantly become at least 3 drinks per day. Needless to say, ever since then the morning coffee has been flowing and I'm right back where I was a few weeks ago. Days like today, when I'm actually at home all day (joy!), it's especially tempting to keep refilling the mug from the thermos pot and add my favorite ingredients--a tablespoon of plain cocoa powder, vanilla soy milk, and vanilla caramel creamer. Mmmm. Hooray for fake, headache inducing, dehydrating energy in a cup. And just like that I'm back in my typical, ridiculous summer frame of mind: Who needs sleep? Not me! Sleep is such a waste of time! Look at all the cool things I could be doing other than sleeping! I'll never sleep again! Mwahaha! I'm invincible!

Oh, the crazy things caffeine and sleep deprivation do to me. Sorry for all those who actually have to be around me during these trying times. =)

2 comments:

Superiorly Inferior said...

I feel your pain. I too was doing the no caffeine thing as you well know, and then 20s 30s also ruined me. I blame it all on Bible based, sleep deprived weekends. Yay for the Bible, and boo for caffeine... But also... yay for caffeine.
Sigh... I'm so weak.

bethany said...

Ah. I too fell off the bandwagon for a few days. I'm glad I'm not alone in my stumbling :)

But then I decided to become more realistic...now I allow myself one caffeinated beverage/day, but never before noon. And I have to say, it has worked! No more headaches at 11am :)

Lets just face it...no day is complete without one icy cold or steaming hot cup of energy.