Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's all Steinbeck's fault


On a bright Saturday morning a few weekends ago, I took a trip to Crossroad Books with Janie. I am ashamed to say it was my first trip. How had I never been there before? The store is small, crowded, musty, and stacked floor to ceiling with books--everything a bookstore should be.

While waiting for Janie to find the books she needed for class, I walked up and down the aisles, hoping to find something I couldn't say no to. I happened upon this novel:


I found this book in 11th grade when I was required to select from a long list a book by an American author. I can remember the exact setting in which I finished reading this book. And let me tell you, it is heartwrenching. Absolutely devastating.


I have read many books, and I have cried many times. But for some reason, this book was different. For some reason, this book hit a spot that no other book had. I must have finished it during a study hall I was spending in the Commons or a lunch period, because I remember walking from the Commons up to Reim Hall in a daze. Shannon was walking with me, and I simply recall babbling on to her about how beautifully tragic the story was... how much I loved it... how deeply it touched me... and how at this moment I knew, that whatever I did in my life, I wanted in some way to affect others. Just like that book had affected me, I wanted to affect others. I remember saying that I wanted to make others feel things. Feel emotions! Whether good or bad, I didn't even care. I just had to impact others. I knew I sounded like a complete hopeless and ridiculous mess, but I didn't care. I wasn't ashamed.


Even now, years later, I can still feel what I felt on that day with perfect clarity. And so, when I picked up an old used copy of The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by Steinbeck that Saturday morning, I knew I had to take it home with me. I felt I owed it at least that much. Every time I think about my future, about what I could possibly do in my life, I remember that book, and the way I felt when I finished it.

How's that for over-dramatic?


2 comments:

bethany said...

Not over-dramatic at all, Danielle! Books have such a strong emotional power over me, too, more so than movies or plays. Don't you think that experiencing situations, conversations and relationships in your mind's eye seems so much more powerful than watching it play out on screen or stage? You have the ability to make what you "see" all yours--like your own little world (with a script). :)

There's nothing quite like re-experiencing the feeling that an old book left you with years ago. The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom gets me that way EVERY time. Hope this one was just as good the second time around!!

(This was long. Whoa. Sorry.)

Amanda said...

Saw you driving today...miss you.