Saturday, September 4, 2010

What I do when I'm not writing for you


When I'm not writing for school, or for fun, or for my blog (hah), I'm writing for The Spectator.

The Spectator is UW-Eau Claire's student newspaper; this semester, I am the Currents editor. That means I am the editor of the "anything goes" section. From art to health to money to technology to entertainment, it might show up in Currents. It's hectic, but it's fun. A lot of fun. So far.

As part of my section, I am running a film column called "Reel Love." Every week (hopefully), I'll  be reviewing either a new release or the film playing on campus that weekend. Unfortunately, you probably won't have seen most of those movies I'll be reviewing--and movie reviews are much more fun when you've actually seen the movie the critics are talking about.

Therefore, I have proposed a sort of personal movie challenge. I have selected (with help from browsing the halls at Family Video, as well as input from friends) 15 popular movies that somehow I have never seen. I will watch, and then review, one of these movies every weekend (again, hopefully).

Here is the current lineup (for the "I can't believe I've never seen" editions of Reel Love):
  • Titanic (review comes out later today)
  • A Stallone movie (Rocky or Rambo)
  • Pulp Fiction
  • Wayne's World (?)
  • Jaws
  • Rush Hour
  • Forrest Gump
  • Terminator
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Nightmare before Christmas 
  • Blues Brothers
  • Dances with Wolves
  • Die Hard
  • It's a Wonderful Life
These movies were selected not necessarily because they are SO GOOD I just have to see them. If that were the case, my list would be a bit different. No, these are the movies that everyone is most surprised to hear I haven't seen. These are the movies often mentioned in popular culture, but I never get the joke.

So anyway, if you'd like to follow along from home, you're welcome to. If not, then don't. I'll never know. =) And as always, if you disagree with my take, please comment! I love comments. I would encourage you to leave comments, however, on The Spectator site, where the reviews will be posted.

Okay, enough self-promotion for one day.

No comments: