Saturday, January 12, 2008

just gushing


I finally got the chance to see my two most anticipated movies of 2007, Juno and Atonement. And, amazingly, they both pretty much stood up to my expectations. I had two incredibly different experiences with them, though...

Juno, after a rough start, completely won my heart and by the end I just wanted to give the entire movie a hug. I saw it with three girlfriends and we left the packed theatre with whimsical grins and immediately began gushing about the movie. We quoted the moments that made us laugh or made us cry (sometimes both) as we wandered through the slushy parking lot, throwing jelly beans at each others' mouths.

Friend 1: "Oh, I can't wait to be pregnant. Obviously not now, but someday."
Friend 2: "I know, I am so excited about being pregnant someday.
Friend 3: "That movie made me want to be a mom."
Me (unspoken thoughts): "That movie made me want to make a movie. The pregnant thing didn't really cross my mind."

Either way, Juno was just so much fun. It was quirky and clever and emotional all at once. None of the characters fit a stereotype (except perhaps Rainn Wilson in the first 5 minutes) and the movie kept constantly surprising me. Just overall lovely. Go see it!

And then, Atonement. Atonement finally came to Eau Claire yesterday. I did not know what to expect, other than the trailer and the short portion of the beginning of the book (brilliant so far) that I have read. I went at 1:30, and because most everyone was busy or at work, I decided to go alone. I'd never gone to a movie alone before, but I loved it. And it was one of the best movie going experiences I'd ever had. The threatre was relatively empty (perhaps a scattered dozen others) and so the audience was respectfully silent. The movie progressed slowly, taking its time. At times it felt like it was building toward a beautiful epic moment, a climax of some sort, but then it would change unexpectedly and surprise me until I really had no idea how it would end. And let me tell you... I was decently moved by this movie throughout, but it wasn't until the last ten minutes that the emotional core of the movie is exposed and then I just cried. This movie is devastating yet beautiful. Just beautiful. Powerful.

The credits rolled on and the theatre emptied, leaving me alone to digest everything with the gorgeous soundtrack accompanying. Such a perfect moment... I was able to watch the entire credits with no one to distract me or bug me to leave. When they were done, I simply wandered out, walked silently to my car, turned the music off in my car and drove silently away. Thoughtful silence. I went home and downloaded the soundtrack on itunes right away (amazing), then just sat back and listened, still going through the movie in my mind.

And that is the story of two of my favorite movies of the year. Two totally different experiences, but both memorable in their own way. I love movies (just thought I'd throw that in case anybody missed that).

And the moral of the story is, go see Juno and Atonement. Also, as much as possible, go into Atonement knowing NOTHING (or as close to nothing as possible).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie and I almost went to see Atonement... but we didn't feel like going at close to midnight. shame...