Wednesday, September 17, 2008

People are Dumb, Vol. I

I recently bought a hair straightener. Go me. I feel a little more grown up, like I've somehow graduated into a new level of adulthood, or at least womanhood (yikes). I was slightly bothered, however, by the extensive manual that accompanied my new straightener. I would not have expected it to require pages and pages of warnings and directions. But, people are dumb. Very dumb. Here are a few of my favorite warnings regarding the use of Walgreen's cheapest hair straightener:
  • Do not use while bathing or in a shower.
  • This appliance should not be used by, on, or near children or individuals with certain disabilities.
  • Do not place in, or drop into water or other liquid.
  • This straightening iron is hot when in use.
  • Do not let eyes or bare skin touch heated surfaces.
  • Never use while sleeping. (my personal favorite)

Oh world, you are just hopeless.

3 comments:

bethany said...

Hehehe...

I bought some Ikea-style furniture a few months back. There was one small plastic bag full of nuts/bolts/screws with a few particularly strange warnings:

Do not eat this bag.

Do not set this bag on fire.

Very, very odd. :)

Danielle Ryan said...

Haha, I love it. It's so sad that we require these warnings in the first place! I think if it was my job to write those warnings, I'd go crazy from hitting my head on the table out of sheer disgust with the human race!

Libby said...

You have to realize that the average Walgreens customer is about as smart as a plastic bag and uses words like "perscription" and "ink cartrelidge." You think it's funny that they need those warnings, I think it's sad that they assume the customer can read.