Monday, January 26, 2009

back to the books

Welcome back to school. Yipee. And I realize it doesn’t exactly come through in the typed format, but my tone was intended to be a bit sarcastic there. Laura and I were just commenting that this time last year we were packing for Europe, so forgive me if I’m not bouncing off the walls with excitement at the prospect of three more months of winter and school. =)

Last week I was complaining to Zach about how unprepared I felt for this semester and how much I was dreading it. He simply said, "I wouldn't worry too much about it. When you go and get your books you'll be all excited again."

And sure enough, he was right. As much as I hated standing in line at the bookstore for an hour yesterday to drop $180 on new textbooks, I couldn't help myself--I got a little chill of excitement about what I would be learning this semester. That cranky, pessimistic side of me couldn't quite shut up the ridiculous nerd in me.

School brings out the best and worst in me. One moment I'll be practically singing about how much I love analyzing short stories, and the next I'll be vehemently ranting about the stupid inconsistency of my Philosophy professor. I can spend the morning filled with enthusiasm and passion for life, and by mid-afternoon be going out of my way to criticise everything in my path while suffering from a caffeine induced headache. As my sleep decreases, my range of emotions increases--a very unforunate fact for those that have to suffer through my company throughout the week.

So for those of you who have the lovely pleasure of hearing me occasionally vent through my frustrations or gush with excitement (because I believe both are equally painful), I apologize. You are saints. Absolute stars.


No comments: